The State University System of New York (SUNY) and City University of New York (CUNY) community colleges have set aside October 3, 2012 to send a simple message: Students who complete an associate degree have better prospects for jobs, scholarships, and transfer to four year schools.
1. Tune in: Come hear Isa Adney's advice on making the most of community college on Wednesday, October 3, 2012 at 1:00pm in the Seelig Theatre.
2. Figure out your goals: If you are not sure where to begin, visit your advisor, or take advantage of resource tables in the Seelig Lobby after Isa Adney's address.
3. Sign a pledge: Sign a pledge at the pledge table on October 3, 2012 between 1:00pm - 3:00pm in the Seelig Lobby. You will also be automatically entered into a sweepstake for a $100 gift certficate to the college bookstore.
1. Higher lifetime earnings: students who complete an associate degree can expect to earn $400,000 more in a lifetime than a high school graduate. Go on to earn your bachelor's and the figure is even higher: $900,000.
2. More job security: Unemployment for community college graduates is typically 30% lower than for high school grads.
3. Transferring is easier: New York residents who transfer directly from a SUNY two year college with an associate degree are guaranteed entry to a four year SUNY college.
4. Children of college graduates are more likely to graduate themselves.
1. Center for Learning, E Bldg (on top of the library): FREE Counseling, Tutoring, Advising, Disabilities Accommodations, and Orientation and First Year Student Programming.
2. Writer's Lounge, C-106: FREE assistance with any writing assignment (editing, proof-reading, first drafts, etc.)
3. Math Lab, B-113: FREE assistance with Math
4. Big Room, B-107: FREE assistance with Science